Friday, September 24, 2004

Grounded. Again.

I am always in trouble. I can't do anything to please that Biggun.
So, here is how it is: I am tired. I am hungry. I have been eating and nesting for a couple of weeks because soon, I want to hibernate. I think. I'm not really sure, yet, but I feel I should be ready for hibernation in case I decide to sleep all winter.
There is a gap between the baseboard under the kitchen sink and the cabinet. I can shimmy right over and then I have a big playspace under the cabinets and Biggun can't get me there. I've been storing things back there all summer long; I've made myself a little nest. I thought it would be a good place to hibernate.
Biggun took me out of my room the other day and let me run around. It was on her birthday. She was talking to people on the phone. I decided that I was very tired and maybe it would be a good time to start sleeping. I hopped over the baseboard and into my roomy nest and dug around and moved the fluff here and there for maximum comfort. Biggun started calling my name, so I had to be quiet because I didn't want her to know where I was. Well, she's kind of smart, so she figured it out. But, she wasn't worried. Her friends came over, I could hear her laughing and all those big person voices made me feel sleepier and sleepier. I went into the space next to my nest (there is a little hole and if I go through it, I can get under the dishwasher) just to see what was what and maybe to curl up a bit. I checked it out, but then something horrible happened! Because I have been eating and eating, I am a bit bigger than I used to be and the hole I crawled through has a funny angle...and I was too fat to fit back through. I was stuck under the dishwasher. I fell asleep. Then I woke up because Biggun was calling me and trying to get me, but she couldn't. She yelled at me and told me, "FINE! Just STAY under there, you creepy little rodent. Freeze to death. See if I care! There's water out here if you get thirsty, but I'm not leaving you any food because I don't need you storing anything else under the sink, you horrid little miscreant." Then she banged around a lot and it gave me a headache. Finally she stopped and went to bed. I went back to sleep.
But, then, in the night, I got cold. And lonely. And hungry and thirsty and I couldn't get back to the nest I'd made on the other side of the wall because I still couldn't fit back through the hole! I was stuck under the dishwasher. It was horrible. And Biggun was far away, in bed, asleep. I was so miserable.
When it got light out again, I heard Biggun. She was calling me. I was so happy to hear her! I climbed up to where I could see her - there's this place on the bottom of the dishwasher that is metal and I can crawl up there and look down at the floor and she was lying on the floor, peeking up through the thing I was standing on. I put my hands down through the metal holes and she grabbed my hands and held them. Then she put some water up by me and I could drink a little. I told her I was scared. She grumbled something about it being 6:40 in the morning and then she went away and made a bunch of noise. When she came back, she told me to get to the back and then she started taking the front of the dishwasher apart. She took off a plate (not the kind she eats on but the kind that is stuck to the front of the dishwasher) and then she found me! She could reach her hand in to where I was and she did and I was so happy to see her, I licked her hand and then curled up on it. She yelled at me and told me how terrible I am and said that she is going to smoosh me with her shoes, but then she gave me a thousand kisses and she washed me and put me back in my room. She gave me some food and some fresh water and then went away. I ate and drank and slept and was very happy to be back in my dirt.
But, now I'm in trouble. She says I'm grounded and I'm never coming out again! I think that's pretty mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home